Information For Victims

She needed to learn her lesson, but  I’m glad she didn’t go to court. I’ve received two payments for my property and one more is due. I’m satisfied. And I’m glad the girl is getting services now. — Linda, a victim from Franklin County, speaking about the girl who stole from her and was referred to Court Diversion

Being a victim of crime can be hard. Helping to meet the needs of crime victims is part of Court Diversion’s mission. Here we give you some information and tell you about choices you have in the Court Diversion process.

The State’s Attorney refers eligible offenders (called here the ‘Diversion participant’) to Court Diversion. Diversion participants must accept responsibility for their actions, be willing to take steps to repair harm caused, and agree to share information with you. Diversion participants do not go through the standard court process.

Court Diversion referral

Court Diversion will let you know of the referral within 7 business days of the Diversion participant applying to the Court Diversion program. First, the program must know how to contact you.

Choose how, and if, you want to communicate with the Diversion Program

If you wish to receive information about this case, tell Diversion staff how you want to get it, such as, by email, phone, or in person.

Share your view of how the crime impacted you

It is your choice to share how the crime impacted you. Court Diversion staff and volunteers want to hear from you. Your input helps Diversion understand and act on your needs related to this crime. Your input can help the offender understand how his/her actions affected you and other people.

You choose how you want to tell us about the impact and how you think the Diversion participant can repair the harm caused to you and others. You may:

  • Speak to a case manager.
  • Send in the Victim Impact Statement or another written statement to be read by Review Board members. The statement must be received before the Review Board meeting.
  • Speak with Review Board members without the Diversion participant present.
  • Actively participate in the Review Board meeting with the participant to help plan things a Diversion participant must do in order to complete the program. (This only happens when staff think that doing so will be safe and useful for all).

We will try to set meetings at a time that you are able to attend

If you are a minor, or not able to share how the crime impacted you, a family member or another person, who you choose, may do so for you.

Seek repayment for losses

You have the right to seek restitution for uninsured losses you suffered as a result of the crime. Court Diversion’s restitution policies follow the same policies as if the case was handled in court. In order to seek restitution, you will need to prove your loss with documentation and your insurance information. Court Diversion staff will try to get restitution for the documented losses you suffered as a result of the crime; however, some things are beyond the control of the Court Diversion Program and may limit the amount you receive and the timing in which it is received. Court Diversion staff can also inform you of other ways to seek compensation.

Receive information about the case directly related to you

If you ask, Court Diversion can tell you about:

  • The Review Board/Panel meeting date
  • Status of the Diversion participant’s case and any requirements that relate directly to you.
  • Whether the Diversion participant completed the program successfully or was returned to court.
Diversion is a confidential program. Staff and volunteers keep all information about you, the Diversion participant, and the case private. Personal information can be damaging when in the wrong hands, so we ask that you also keep sensitive information learned as part of the Diversion process private.
For more information regarding legal rights of crime victims in Vermont, visit the website of the Vermont Center for Crime Victim Services.
If you have questions or concerns about Court Diversion, please contact the director of your local Court Diversion program.